Saturday, September 21, 2013

My two grandfathers.

     My two grandfather are no longer in this human world but their legacy stays. Both contrast in personality but I have their genes. They both are mens from the era of wars and brought peace to the chinese people in different ways. I am glad that I know their story and I am glad they were by grandfather despite not able to meet them anymore. I still feels like they are looking after me till now though only one spirit of my grandfather remains on earth and the other one was already reborn based on the intel my family's sifu said.

    Okay ! I will start by my father's father, my ah gong. My ah gong have two name one with the sir name Quek and Kouk but he pass his Quek sir name to my father and uncle. Imagine me having Kuok as my sir name. It must be funny to call me. He was 65 years old when he died due to colon cancer. I was 7 years old when he died. I still have not have fond memory with him. I just remember seeing the photos of him giving me angpows when I was about 5 years old if I am not mistaken. 

    He serve in a Chinese independent school for almost 20 years as a headmaster but the irony is that I am a banana. He was the kindest headmaster the school had. My father once told me that my ah gong paid the tuition fees for poor kids who had no money to do education. He fought for the Chinese education in Malaysia and succeeded. He was a sensible and kind man never to raise his temper at  his children. 

     My father once told me a joke of my ah gong that he was only fined by the police once in his life. It was the day my brother was born and he had no parking in the nearby hospital. He was fined based on his parking. He was too happy that the first son of Quek was born. That event was so hilarious as my ah gong always obey the law but for once he did that. 

     On the contrary my gong gong which is my mother side grandfather used to be a head of gangster in Perak. He was a true China man as he and his father came to Malaysia at British colonial times. His father and my gong gong left their family to find better income for their family as all of their crops was eaten by locust. When they reach Malaysia, my gong gong had to bluff his age to find a job. He was 11 that time but the 'tarik beca' group are only hiring 12 and above boys. therefore my gong gong true age when he died was 80 but in his ic was 79. He had two age.

     When the japanese imperial army came and conquer the land of Malaya my gong gong was tortured as he was suspected to be an intel for the anti- japanese group. He was 14 at that time. It scarred him. He wanted to protect the chinese people and he did he became the Tai Lo for a gangster group in Perak. My uncle told me that every hawker there is willing to pay for his food and drinkds for his protection. He also told me a story on how my gong gong actually save his friends daughter from becoming a prostitute in Penang. I can fell the courageous act of my gong gong. Till now his friend owe a debt to him.

      My gong gong and poh poh also had a very nice love story which i may include later in my blog. I truly love their love story. My father told me my gong gong loves me the most as i was the oldest there. When I was little, I was pushed in the pram by him until I fall asleep every evening. He suffered stroke for 12 years and pass away one night in his sleep. 

     Both my grandfather contrast in life and personality but they remain their goal which is to protect the people and my community. I inspire to be them someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment